How to Clean Canvas Prints: Tips and Tricks

Canvas prints are beautiful and can add a unique touch to any room. However, they can accumulate dust and grime over time, making it necessary to clean them to keep them looking their best. But how do you clean a canvas print without ruining it? In this article, we’ll share some tips and tricks for cleaning your canvas prints safely and effectively.

  1. Use a microfiber cloth

The first step in cleaning a canvas print is to use a microfiber cloth. A dry microfiber cloth can remove 99% of dust, while a damp cloth can remove the remaining 1%. When using a damp cloth, make sure it’s not too wet, as excess water can seep into the canvas and damage it. 

  1. Avoid using chemical cleaners

Chemical-based cleaners can damage the UV coating on canvas prints and strip the print of some of its ink. Moreover, chemical cleaners can damage the canvas surface and make it harder to clean. It’s best to avoid them altogether and stick to simple cleaning solutions.

  1. Add a little Dawn soap to the cloth

To make the cleaning process easier, you can add a little Dawn soap to the microfiber cloth. This can help remove grime and dirt from the canvas surface without damaging it. 

  1. Clean regularly

It’s important to clean your canvas print regularly to prevent dust and grime buildup. You can use a microfiber cloth or a cotton swab to gently wipe the surface, avoiding any harsh rubbing. Rinse the cloth with clean water to remove any soap or water. 

How to Clean Canvas Prints: Tips and Tricks

  1. Keep canvas prints away from moist areas

Moisture can cause mildew to form on canvas prints, so it’s important to keep them away from moist areas, such as bathrooms and unfinished basements. If you do have a canvas print in a moist area, be sure to clean it regularly to prevent mildew buildup. 

  1. Avoid getting canvas prints wet

While the material of canvas is waterproof, moisture can seep into the fabric surface, causing mildew to form and weakening the fibers of the canvas. If you need to clean a canvas print, use a damp microfiber cloth or cotton swab, but avoid getting the canvas wet. 

  1. Consult an art specialist if you’re unsure

If you’re unsure of how to clean your canvas print or have any concerns about its condition, consult an art specialist by shooting us an email at We can provide you with specific guidance and advice on how to clean and care for your canvas print.

Cleaning canvas prints is a simple process that can help you keep your prints looking their best for years to come. By following these tips and tricks, you can clean your canvas prints safely and effectively, without causing any damage or harm to the print.